Thursday, June 3, 2010

Accidental Wonkiness

After fixing my machine I did a few more quilt lines before pulling the whole thing out to inspect it. What I found was wonky lines that should be straight.

While doing straight line quilting-in-the-ditch I failed to notice that every time I turned my quilt to sew it pulled in the opposite direction. Funnily, I like the look for this particular quilt, but need to figure a way to make it, oh, I don’t know, not do that on other quilts where I want straight lines! Or maybe since my perfectionist mode gets deteriorated like my patience the older I get I’ll just make that my signature style: Wonky.


I’m sure that after I wash and dry the quilt when it is completely quilted together it won’t be nearly as noticeable. And I’m also sure that one of two things will happen; either my lack of keeping the quilting actually in the ditch will not be as apparent or it’ll be extremely obvious I have no mad skills in this particular area. In the meantime I am enjoying just spending a little free time doing what is basically mindless sewing. Perhaps that is why the wonkiness is occurring…


Since this is a scrap quilt actually made with a bag of scraps and leftover fabric from other projects, the wonky quilting is probably not irritating me as much had I spent a ton more money on the fabric and batting. But hey, for a $25 project (breakdown is $15 for Scrap Bag of Moda Fabric from the Frolic line, $5 for full size cotton batting bought five years ago on a super sale price, $2 for 3 yards of natural muslin backing 110” wide, about $3 worth of thread, and less than a dollar worth of scraps from other projects like the orange border and white squares) I think it is coming along rather nicely.

With this being my first attempt at machine quilting an entire quilt there were certain to be some setbacks and plans gone awry and I expected such. However when they actually do happen, it still irks me for a minute until I decide I can live with it. Hence, my wonky quilt is okay in my book… for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment