Friday, March 16, 2012

Wonky Block Trim-a-thon


With all wonky 9-patch blocks pieced, it was time to trim them. Ooh! Internet!

After work last night I wanted to see how long it would take to trim all fifty of the wonky 9-patch blocks down to eight-and-a-half inches. I was hoping to break a record, but what record is beyond me. Alas, a new Beer and Board Games episode (http://www.blamesociety.net) distracted me toward the end. Oh well. I did manage to get them all cut and also found that somehow two of the blocks simply were too small so I had to figure out a way to make them just a smidgen larger.


My options for increasing the size of the two blocks would be to rip them apart and start over by sewing more accurately or adding an extra solid strip to the short edge. Go ahead and guess which option I chose. I’m thinking that if I use these as edge pieces around the quilt it won’t be as conspicuous as smack dab in the middle of the thing. That and the extra piece will hardly be noticeable once the blocks are pieced together.

Some time this weekend I plan on playing with layout, which means locking the cats and dog in a room while I fiddle with the blocks on the kitchen floor. Of course, that also means I should probably clean the floor too, so we will see just how ambitious I am to get this quilt top done since, you know, it is St. Patrick’s Day weekend and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment