Friday, December 10, 2010

Rash Decisions

I may have gone off a bit yesterday and threatened to cancel Christmas this year. Okay, so I did, but after a few hours I calmed down, plugged the tree back in and started decorating.



 Sometimes circumstances in life cause us to become quite irrational in our decision making. Albeit, these are usually during times of great distress and therefore not totally outside the realm of possibility that a rash decision will be declared. However, a little perspective on our situation and a little time to calm the frak down, I was able to see that by cancelling Christmas the last year we are in our home would just be silly. Why wouldn’t we celebrate one more time here? I mean, who knows if our next living situation will allow us the freedom to decorate as much as we like during the holidays, or if we’ll even be able to keep most of our decorations when we move.


So with the tree plugged back in and naked but lit, I pulled three of the ornament containers out of the garage and started tackling the job of decorating the tree. I figured I’d put up all of our hand painted glass ornaments up as well as our collection of character ornaments and some of my childhood ones too, while leaving the Star Trek ship ornaments for my partner to put on if he so desired. After he got home from work and saw the tree, he said he was glad I didn’t pack it away and that I’d started decorating it because after a little time to think about it he came to the same conclusion as I… we were reacting to crappy news.



I wonder if there is any hope of being able to convince my partner that we should also set up as many pieces of our Department 56 North Pole Village today after I get home from a job interview? Perhaps. I suppose I should also tackle getting some presents under the tree to keep our cat from using the tree skirt as a bed or hiding place as she did last night while howling like she was being attacked because our Shelf Elf fell from the valance.

No comments:

Post a Comment