Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cleaning Grease Stains from Pans

I have to admit, I absolutely love having a glass/ceramic stovetop for many reasons, even though gas would be my preferred cooking method. But the one thing I don’t care for is the grease stains it tends to leave on my pans.

With a glass/ceramic stovetop, the entire surface is flat, which is great for those of us lacking countertop space, as this acts as an extra counter. However, having that flat space while cooking creates the perfect recipe for… GREASE STAINS!!! The direct contact over the entire bottom of the pan and the heating element somehow transfers any trace of oils that may be on the stove to the bottom of the pan, which is nearly impossible to clean without a stainless steel pad, of which I am not a fan of using on our All-Clad Stainless Steel Cookware.

So I am going to share with you a few homemade remedies you can use to clean your stainless steel pots and pans, as well as why I use store-bought cleaners. The first, and probably most obvious to anyone who has ever known the joy of pairing baking soda and vinegar together, is making a paste out of the two. Simply add just enough vinegar to the baking soda until it is about the consistency of toothpaste. Then use a non-abrasive cleaning pad, sponge, heavy duty paper towel or cloth to rub the paste onto the bottom of the pan in a circular motion. If it is a super nasty stain, allow it to sit for a few minutes, then continue rubbing until the stain is gone. Wash as usual, either in the dishwasher or by hand.

The other option to use is a store bought cleaner, of which I have two I can recommend. Cameo Aluminum & Stainless Steel Cleaner is a powder which you sprinkle on after wetting your pots, pans, utensils, even the kitchen sink! You can also make a paste and use that like you would the vinegar & baking soda method. Again, wash immediately afterwards. Then there is Wright’s Silver Cream, which I find the most effective. It is a paste already and is used like the other two previously mentioned cleaners, but this one is safe for mirrored finishes, and also works on glass and glass/ceramic stovetops.

Any of these will work for baking sheets as well, which tend to get the same grease stains from the constant high temperatures in the oven from either Pam Cooking Spray or another grease source. I usually spend an afternoon twice a year cleaning my pots and pans this way, even though I’m certain making a once a month chore will make it a whole lot easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment