Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dusting

There are some chores that boggle my mind as to how and why they need to be done. Dusting is one of them.

I know the properties of dust, and quite honestly it scares me the amount that is deposited in our house every day. Part of the problem is having a dog with chronic skin issues. I can’t account for the rest, however. We also have a rather large cat whose fine white hairs wisp through the air, dancing and mingling with the floating dust before they fall, landing together on whichever surface they choose. Okay, so my partner and I contribute a little too.

So, with this massive amount of dust just lying around, quickly becoming another persona, one would think I’d dust daily to avoid it. But I’m lazy. I freely admit it. That, and I simply find dusting stupid. You dust and dust and minutes later, even with a freshly vacuumed or swept floor, dust magically appears back on the surfaces out of nowhere. It is evil and it must be stopped. Any ideas?

Personally, I have tried every dusting product out there, but the only thing that seems to work well on most surfaces is a cloth and dusting spray, such as Pledge. I also use microfiber cloths for the TV and electronics, which are easily washed and dried when they become soiled. However, for the big jobs, which in our house mostly consist of wood furniture, old wash cloths and rags with dusting spray work best, as a microfiber cloth would quickly be overwhelmed. The other option would be to dust more often, therefore avoiding the frustration I exhibit while performing this chore, but again… lazy.

And so grudgingly, I dust once a month, when it should be at least once a week, but preferably every time I vacuum, which is every two to three days, and honestly should be every day. Wow, this little exercise in sentence building has been quite enlightening as to the extent of my laziness! Will it change my behavior? Magic 8-Ball says, “Doubtful. Outlook is grim.”

No comments:

Post a Comment