Thursday, April 8, 2010

Anniversaries

Sometimes I can hardly believe that my partner and I have been together for fourteen years. Then there are times I say to myself, “That’s it?”

Today is our anniversary and what am I doing? Writing about it. We’re not going to a fancy restaurant for dinner, or a vacation or road trip anywhere, or really much of anything. Actually, the plan is to thinset the slate tiles in our half bath, and maybe go get the grout and sealant and a couple sponges and a grout float too. Sound exciting to you? I’m excited to be that much closer to done with this project!

While we’ve been together for fourteen years, it was four years ago today we finally had a ceremony at our church. Our original plan was to wait for gay marriage to be legal, but that became increasingly apparent it wasn’t going to happen any time soon, and still today isn’t a reality. And so we celebrated our tenth anniversary with friends and family and had all the traditional wedding stuffs including a ceremony, food, dancing, cake and a toast… with actual toast. Our church has a ban on alcohol in the building because of a raucous crowd years earlier, so instead of sparkling cider or something fizzy to toast with, my twisted sense of humor thought using small toasts for the toast would be funny. It still makes me giggle.

In the past we’ve done some great things for our anniversary. For our sixth, we took our first out-of-country vacation… to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada where they almost wouldn’t let me back into the United States because I didn’t have a passport or my birth certificate or anything other than my driver’s license. The seventh we decided to get rings to show our commitment to one another. On the eighth we went to Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of the U.S. Bancorp tower. And then the big ceremony on our tenth. Honestly, I think that was the last big thing we did, but I’ll hear about it if it wasn’t!

However, this year is a lot more laid back it seems. Unless we make a surprise trip to Idaho to visit my partner’s family, we probably will spend it finishing up the half bath in anticipation of having another toilet in the house again, which honestly seems like the best thing we could do together after living with only one toilet for this many years!

Hmmm… I wonder when my partner is going to start making waffles? I’m getting hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment