Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yellow Curry Experiment

Growing up, my stepmom used to make a yellow curry over rice that was absolutely delicious, and funnily it is one of two things I think of when my mind wanders to homemade cooking from my childhood. That, and my mother’s green beans covered in cheese sauce!

Rather than just simply call my stepmom and ask for the recipe, I decided to try to replicate it from memory, or at least as close as I could using the ingredients I had on hand. I didn’t have any coconut milk even though I’d been telling myself to buy a can or two for a cake flavor I’ve been wanting to make, so I thought about other ingredients that might work. Yogurt was the first that came to mind, such as Nancy’s Honey Yogurt we feed our dog to help with her digestion, but of course we had just run out that morning. Then I thought of buttermilk, which from when I made the decadently delicious yet simple Indian flatbread, naan, could be interchangeable, however that seemed like it would be a little too much tang. So instead I opted for a quarter cup buttermilk and a ½ cup of heavy cream. To get the sweet flavor that is so necessary in the background of a good curry, I decided to try a little experiment, well this whole thing was an experiment, but wanted to test a theory of caramelizing the onions slightly by sautéing them in oil with a little brown sugar melted in. Oh – my – gawd! It worked out perfectly!

Now, it is not to say that I am unfamiliar with curry, because I am not, it’s just that I’ve never attempted to make one before. I don’t know why, but perhaps deep down it was the thought of being disappointed that it wouldn’t taste like my stepmom’s curry. But once I got over that and simply tried to make something edible, I figured that it is just food, and can always be made differently next time if it was that awful. After all, I was using up chicken that had to be eaten or tossed and the same went for the chicken stock I had in the refrigerator, so if this didn’t work, I was out an onion, a couple potatoes and a couple handfuls of baby carrots. But, when it all came together and was perfectly cooked and I took my first bite I was immediately drawn back to those days of sitting around the dinner table and we all talked about our day at school or work. It wasn’t the same, but I think the essence of it was there.

Cory’s Curry

Ingredients
2 tablespoons oil, either olive or canola
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 large onion, cut in half then sliced into ¼” strips
3 tablespoons yellow curry powder (or make your own if you’re all ambitious)
2 medium russet potatoes, diced into bite sized pieces
2 cups baby carrots, cut in half or thirds
2 cups chicken stock
2-3 tablspoons fish sauce
¼ cup buttermilk mixed with ½ cup heavy cream
     *OR*
1 can coconut milk
     *OR*
1 cup plain or honey yogurt
1½ lbs chicken thighs and/or breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1-2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek, or other ground fresh chili paste (optional)

Also
6-8 cups jasmine rice

Over medium heat in a 5 quart or larger stock pot, heat the oil and brown sugar until the sugar has dissolved and puts off a pleasant aroma. If it smells like burning, start over because you don’t want your whole dish to be ruined before you even get started! Add the onion and sauté for about five minutes until they soften slightly. Add the curry powder, stir to combine and cook for another minute or two before adding the potatoes and carrots. If you prefer to use red or gold potatoes, go for it, but I find a nice starchy potato contributes nicely and also helps thicken the liquid ever so slightly. Also if you don’t have baby carrots, simply use regular carrots cut down to size or slice them into ¼” slices at an angle, or you could always just buy the carrot chips already cut at the store too (lazy ass.) Next, add the chicken stock and choice of buttermilk/cream blend, coconut milk or plain yogurt, stirring to combine. Bring to a gentle boil then add the chicken, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-40 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear when pierced and the potatoes are cooked through, stirring occasionally. The time discrepancy is to account for using chicken breasts, which cook faster, and thighs, which need to cook longer. If using a combination I would cook the full forty minutes. If you like heat, you can add the Sambal Oelek with the other liquids, or if you like background heat, stir it in while the rice is resting, about five minutes before serving, which is also a good time to test for seasonings and add salt or more fish sauce if needed. Serve over jasmine rice for six to eight people, depending on appetite.

This recipe is delicious same day, but the leftovers are even better as the flavors become more pronounced and delectable. I’d even go so far as to suggest you make it a day or two in advance, refrigerate it and then reheat it right before you plan to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment