Monday, January 18, 2010

Composting

We decided to start composting for a couple reasons. First, we wanted to reduce our outgoing garbage waste, and second, we got chickens. So then the quest for what type of composter to use began. Should we get a bin? One that spins? Indoor? Outdoor? Or, do we just dig a hole in the yard and cover it with a tarp? While at our local Fred Meyer store, I saw a 110-gallon black bin type for only $30 and decided to get it. The phrase, “You get what you pay for” is so true when it came to this. Yes, it works. But because the walls don’t stay connected very well, I’ve had to strap on six bungee cords in various locations around it. It’s ghetto, I know, but it keeps it all together.

Now, a 110-gallon unit may be a little large for the average family, but keep in mind all of the stuff we put into it. Whenever I clean out the chicken’s hen house, I put all of the straw, shavings and sh… poop in the compost bin. I also put all of our vegetable scraps not suitable for chicken-consumption, coffee grinds and filters, egg shells, any food containers and wrappers from Burgerville, and leftovers that have gone bad and don’t contain meat or cheese. I don’t remember why I no meat or cheese, but I do remember seeing something about it on TV or the internet, so it must be true. During the summer, about once a week, I’d lightly wet down the inside of the bin while watering the vegetable garden to keep it moist, but not soaked, as you want to encourage not only worms to help break down the waste materials, but also natural decay.

Now, the best part about this particular compost bin is that it has large openings on the bottoms of all four sides with slide-off covers. This allows you to scoop out the compost that has cured without having to dig out the stuff that has not. What do I do with this compost? Fertilize the gardens with it! Late winter or early spring is the best time to get your vegetable garden prepped, as well as your roses and flower gardens. I plan on scooping out the bottom half of our bin (it gets quite full during the year) and doing just this. A majority of it will go into the vegetable boxes, where I will simply put the compost on top and allow the chickens to scratch it into the rest of the soil. If you don’t have chickens, it is quite easily done with a hoe or rake. The roses will get the same treatment, while at the same time getting pruned and a good healthy dose of Epsom salt, which I also use when I plant my tomatoes, along with oyster shell, to discourage blossom end rot.

There are so many different types of compost bins out there, and many more tutorials online to help you make your own, even indoor ones that simply sit on the counter. I encourage each of you to find one that works for your family, and not only do something good for the environment, but also save money in the process. The results will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment