Sunday, January 31, 2010

Coop Cleaning

Every other week I clean out the chicken coop. I used to do it every week, but eventually decided a bi-monthly approach was best… if for no other reason than it was easier for me, and we all know how lazy I can be.

But tomorrow is the day I need to clean it out. And while I complain about this task, it should be noted that it only takes about five minutes to complete. All I do is scoop up all the poop-soiled straw and shavings, put it in the compost bin, and add more straw and shavings back inside the hen house. Fairly straightforward, right? And normally I wouldn’t mind doing this, but during the winter, our yard becomes a complete mud bath, and that is the part I dread. Walking through the sloshing loam where the grass has completely worn away from various pathways which have now all congregated into one giant mass of sticky mud.

However, I will grudgingly do it. I will pull on an old pair of jeans and outdoor shoes and fulfill my duty I swore to uphold. And if nothing else, I’m sure the chickens will thank me… until the next day when they have once again started their mountainous poo-pile under their roosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment