Sunday, January 24, 2010

Family Game Night

Growing up, we rarely had a family game night. The few times we did, it was something I wished we did more often. There were the big family games we would play at holiday get-togethers, which usually entailed gambling or at the very least, money to play, which were also a lot of fun, but as an immediate family, we rarely took the time to play a board game or card game. I remember thinking that when I get older and have kids of my own, we would have a weekly game night, if for nothing else, because it was a chance to do something together other than eat dinner or watch a movie. Little did I know what fate would have in store for me.

When I met my partner, I realized the “having kids” part of my adult life plan would actually take planning. Fourteen years later, we still do not have kids, just a butt-load of animals, however, I still hold out hope that we will adopt in the very near future. I keep telling myself that we are only in our early thirties, a perfectly normal age to start having kids, but the other voices in my head remind me that I was sixteen, going on seventeen, when my mother was my age now, and already had five kids.

I guess the trade off is that I replaced family game night with friend game night. We used to hold weekly Scrabble Death Match sessions, and rarely Life and sometimes Boggle. And before that, Scattergories, Monopoly, Apples to Apples and Cranium. Our linen closet is half filled with board games, card games and everything in between. Now, it is whenever we can get together and play, which has become about once a month.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, if you have a family, play games together. If you don’t, play with your friends. If you don’t have friends, that is sad, but you always have the internet.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of Family Vacation is game night. I love playing games. Hoping you will be up this summer for Lynn's wedding and we can all play family Apples to Apples or something else. Love you cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really just love that last sentance.. hehe
    we play games but sadly not as much as we used to or should.. and remember how we used to play all of time time.. we need to do that more

    ReplyDelete