Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hair Cuts

Since high school, I have had my hair cut by a professional three times. The first time was in college. I was 18, and had already begun cutting my own hair, but wanted a style I had not yet mastered. The second time, my partner dragged me to the salon and begged me to have someone else cut my hair, so I obliged. I don’t remember exactly what my hair looked like after, but my partner never asked me to get it cut by a trained professional again. The third time, I initiated that we should both get our hair cut and/or trimmed for our wedding. That was almost 4 years ago, and now I’m 32.

 I don’t exactly know why I started cutting my own hair. It may have been for the creative freedom to do something with my body that wasn’t permanent. Or it may have been to save a few bucks. Of course, a combination of the two is more likely. I can’t remember having any horrifying hair cuts at the hands of trained professionals, but I do remember it was a challenge to get them to understand that I didn’t want my sideburns to be shaved off and taken up to my temples! I like my sideburns! I’ve had them since the dawn of my facial hair! And honestly, I look a little goofy without them.

Because it has been 15 years since I started cutting my hair, I think it would be a little odd to leave it in someone else’s hands. But at the same time, I would never try to cut anyone else’s hair but my own. And honestly, it’s not like I really spend a lot of time actually cutting my hair into a style anyway. I seriously just use an electric trimmer with the 1” attachment and keep shaving until my hair is all the same size. So I’m cheap? I know. But in these hard economic times, who can complain? Well, except for the hair cutting community! (Sorry B.!)

1 comment: