Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Sewing Machine is Back!

For the last couple weeks, my 1963 Singer Touch & Sew Deluxe Zig-Zag Sewing Machine Model 600 has been in the repair shop. Of course during that time, I wanted to sew, and had all these ideas floating around in my head. And of course, now that it is back, they seemed to have flittered out.


I’ve got a quilt that I’ve wanted to work on for a couple years, and have the fabric already cut and ready to piece together. And I have a puppet I’ve needed to put together for our church’s YouTube announcements. Then there are the plethoras of other projects I’ve wanted to tackle, like market bags and pillow covers and slip covers for the La-Z-Boy reclining sofa and chair-and-a-half. So maybe the last one is a little ambitious, but seriously, anything has got to be better than the old tattered quilts and bed spreads we’ve been using to keep the rips and tears in the seat cushions from getting any worse.

Why is it that when I have so many creative ideas flowing in my head, I am at my least motivated state to create? It must be the artist and the rationalist in me duking it out, which of course, the artist loses nearly every time.

“I want to paint a pretty picture!” said the artist, in a carefree yet determined tenor.

“You can’t paint! The toilet needs to be scrubbed, dishes washed, floors vacuumed, windows cleaned, bathtub sprayed with bleach to get rid of that damned mildew problem, dog bathed and her nails clipped, laundry washed and folded, furniture dusted, garden weeded and watered, chicken coop cleaned out, and maybe if you have time, eat something!” screamed the rationalist, rather demandingly, as if he was an authoritative figure, and one to be reckoned with at that.

So many projects I want to make and so many chores that need to be done. Maybe someday I will find a good balance between the two, instead of ignoring them both. Until then, I’m going to go get another cup of coffee and check my Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment