Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Brand Names vs. Generics

I’m not saying that I’m a brand snob, but there are certainly items I will not purchase a generic version of. Then again, there are also a large quantity of items I will not purchase the brand name version because it is too cost prohibitive.

Okay, so let me get this out of the way. My dishes I only trust to Dawn because, well it works the best out of every dish soap I’ve ever tried. My laundry I only use Tide High Efficiency because it cleans the best for our front loader washer, and is always a top pick for best buy, even though the cost is higher than a generic or other brands, you use less and it cleans better. Other items I will only purchase by brand are C&H sugars (because I prefer cane sugar over beet or corn), Downey Fabric Softener, Cheerios, Quaker Oats, Colgate toothpaste and Coke. There. I got that all off my chest.

So what items will I not purchase the name brand version of? Prescription pharmaceuticals, for one. If the generic is available, take it. Also the same for cough syrups and cold medications, allergy pills, pain medications, and vitamins (Costco carries nearly all the major brands in generic form for up to 85% less.)

Then there is the grey area of the Brand vs. Generic War, which is when the cost fluctuates sometimes making the generic more expensive than the brand. Yes, a rare occurrence, but it happens, especially in the soda, bread and canned goods sections. I’ve actually found some store brands of breads to be better than most name brands and will purchase them even if their price is slightly more than a name brand. For the most part these items are usually relatively close in price as it is, so I go with what tastes best… except for soda, which I am a stickler for Coke and Diet Coke and refuse to take my chances with the generic offerings.

Basically, if the item is cheaper and equally comparative, go that direction. If the item is superior and not comparative, go with the superior product. I mean, seriously, why spend the extra money just for the packaging which will get thrown away in the garbage anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment