Friday, September 24, 2010

Insufficient Funds

Nothing brings home the fact that being unemployed sucks big floppy donkey dicks like not having enough money to pay the bills. Hopefully one of the many positions I’ve applied for over the last couple weeks will at least get me an interview.

In November it will have been two years since I was let go from my previous job with The Most Evil Corporation in the World. I’m sure my mere calling it that isn’t helping my chances for future employment, assuming anyone besides you reads this blog, but the sheer fact is that when a company focuses purely on profit and away from the customers and associates who make that profit possible, it becomes a self-serving entity. However, this isn’t a rant about evil, it is a rant about money… or should I say the lack of it in our household.

It seems odd to me that while the cost of living increases, wages seem to decrease. Our current economic depression has made it possible for living wage jobs to suddenly become minimum wage part time jobs and have that be acceptable. Benefits? Health insurance? Paid time off? Those are so last millennium. The current job market is seeking qualified applicants with ten or more years of experience in [a certain field] with a bachelor’s degree (or higher) in [that field] for a part time position starting at $9 an hour. This would be funny if I didn’t take this directly from a local job listing.

Fortunately there are employment services offered by the government that work with employers to help people find jobs, but I’m afraid that with the current rate of over 14% unemployment in our county alone, the job pool to qualified applicant ratio is still a little skewed. I just hope that the optimistic news I received from the local state employment office actually holds true that I have an elevated chance of getting one of the positions I applied for through them.

In the meantime, with our bank account dwindling and the threat of foreclosure looming, I will try to keep a positive outlook on the situation. But I must admit, I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh what a sucky day for you. {hugs} And I'll send really powerful employment thoughts!

    ReplyDelete