Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fondant Roses

Few things in life cause me to want to pull out my hair screaming. Few things, that is, except making fondant roses.

You see, the last few days have consisted of making fondant roses for my aunt’s wedding. They aren’t particularly difficult, just time consuming. I mean, when I started making them I was lucky to pump one out every ten minutes or so. For some reason I thought that I had cutters that would make the workload faster, but alas my largest cutter I could make work was too small for anything but the centers of small roses. And these aren’t rose buds either, but fully opened roses, which are two to three times more work, hence the ten minute creation time when I’m in the groove, which doesn’t include the time required to knead the fondant, color it correctly, perform the centers and cut out the shapes.

So, yesterday before I started up again, I decided I was going to locate the correct cutters I could use to make the job go by faster. After finally locating them at the second store (and final location in Vancouver before I’d have to venture into Portland) I brought them home and began testing them out on the fondant I had ready to go from the roses I had already started. These cutters certainly improved my timing, but were still a little bit more time consuming than I had anticipated. I mean, four every ten minutes sounds great, but there was also about ten minutes prep work to take into account.

Let’s just say I’ve got another long day on my feet again forming as many roses as my hands can physically make and then the rest are going to have to be five-petal posies, which look a lot like wild roses. Hopefully they will transport well during the five hour drive to the wedding destination, and hopefully someone in my family will be kind enough to lend me their kitchen to make a couple hundred cupcakes, and hopefully my aunt won’t get all Bridezilla on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment