Friday, July 23, 2010

Starting Another Quilt

Last night I decided to dig out some old fabric I’ve had lying around for years and finally do something with it. While I like the patterns and colors, they aren’t my style, so it’ll be an Etsy shop quilt.

Don’t berate me just yet for not having pictures up, I promise I’ll have them on the next post about this particular topic. Now, I originally bought these fabrics four years ago with the intention of making a quilt for a friend, but me being me, never got around to actually making it. Besides, turns out the friend doesn’t like the color pink anyway and there’s a hellalotta pink!

And so trying to figure out what next to put into my sad little Etsy shop, I decided to make a quilt. I didn’t want to make anything involved or incredulously time consuming like my previous framed 9-patch quilt that I worked on for over a month and a half, just a simple design that worked well with the prints. After researching various patterns, it appears I’m stuck between Buckeyes, Windmills or a couple of random styles, all utilizing triangles. When I first bought the fabric I started cutting it into 8½ inch squares, so I figured I’d use these squares to make triangles and figure out what to do with the remainder of the fabric.

To make the triangles, I first took each dark and placed it facing a light and made two identical pairings, which would make a total of four triangles. Stacking the squares onto my cutting mat and using rotary scissors I cut them in half diagonally. I then chain stitched all 36 of my triangles together before separating them and ironing the seams all toward the dark fabric.

I then played around with various patterns once the blocks were done to see what looked best. So far, nothing is catching my attention as being, well, all that interesting. I’m thinking I may want to either make 36 more blocks of smaller triangles or go ahead and make them 4-patches for the Buckeye pattern. Perhaps I should start with a couple and see how it looks in case I don’t like either.

No comments:

Post a Comment