Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Recovery

After a week of family from out of town and going out of town to visit, it is finally time to catch up on some much needed sleep. That is, if our animals will let us.

Last night was the first night in a long while I was able to get a continuous seven hours of sleep, which is normal. More than that and I still feel tired for a majority of the day. Less than that for days in a row and I’m Oscar the Grouch. I won’t let you know just how long I slept, but if the lateness of this blog posting and the fact that I was in bed before midnight are any indication, you can probably take a wild guess.

I don’t know what it is, but around family it is nearly impossible to get to bed at a decent hour, but waking up at one seems to be inevitable. Especially when staying in a house with ten people, nine of whom are sharing a bathroom. If I didn’t get up by seven at the latest it’d be forever before the shower was available. Of course, once home we had our nephews who wanted to start watching Jaws just before midnight after a five and a half hour car ride so the chances of starting to get a little more sleep that night wasn’t going to happen.

It seems the older I get the harder it is to recover from a varying sleep schedule. I’ve gotten so accustomed to going to bed and waking up around a certain time that messing with that messes with my whole day. And I’ve been like this for years so it isn’t something that has happened since my unemployment. Then again, I think a big part of that is that our animals are on a pretty routine feeding schedule and they let you know when it is time to feed them in the morning, usually by ramming the bedroom door.

No comments:

Post a Comment