Friday, July 30, 2010

Roof: Part 1

For a few years now we’ve had a hole in our roof that eventually led to a much larger issue of rot until the gutter wasn’t attached to anything. A few days ago my partner decided to do something about it.

Sometimes the advantages and disadvantages of home ownership seem to be warring with each other. If we were still renting this house this wouldn’t be our problem to solve. Of course, if we were still renting we wouldn’t have been able to do a lot of things we’ve done over the years. So when my partner decided to take a closer look at the damage to the roof by prying apart the soffit where we first noticed a hole, a fairly good indicator of water damage, my first thought was, “Don’t go too far, we can’t afford this.” However, walking outside a few minutes later to find what looked like a demolition site, I literally bit my tongue as I saw just how much this was going to cost someone else to fix, because this was more work than we could possibly do ourselves without the know-how to do it. Literally biting my tongue until I drew blood, I simply walked back into the house.

A couple hours later my partner informed me that one of our friends, who happens to be a roofer, will be by in a couple days to help fix the damage. While this was a minor relief, there was still the cost of supplies to contend with. The fact that he said he’d work for beer was major relief as beer is cheaper than labor, even the imported microbrews he drinks.


And so work started on the project yesterday, with even more tear down and a trip to the hardware store to pick up supplies. The only thing we still had was the primer and paint from a previous repair project we tackled a few years ago to fix a similar, albeit much small, problem on another section of the soffit. While I was busy baking and decorating a cake, my partner and friend were busy repairing the roof. They got a lot accomplished yesterday before calling it quits, and hopefully by Saturday when work resumes it will be complete. I just hope they don’t find anything else that needs to be fixed in the process!

No comments:

Post a Comment