Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Embroidery

I’ve noticed a lot of interest in embroidery over the last few months, especially on Etsy. Perhaps it is time to enter the market.

My friend Sarah has been telling me to sell my Odd Bugs that I embroider onto the back of every baby blanket I make for some time now, but the thought of actually embroidering these creatures and selling them at a reasonable price don’t seem to mesh well with each other. However, on the car ride to Country Manor, a fabric shop in Battle Ground, she said she meant selling the patterns. This seems way more doable.

So I suppose the fun part of designing new bugs specifically for my shop that will be intriguing and playful so that other people will want to use them for their projects begins. I have my stash of about five bugs that I was going to use for a children’s book and never got around to actually creating that, but every other bug I’ve done was specifically for that child and I refuse to replicate those ones for sale to others. Now I guess I’ll have to figure out how best to make the patterns, which I will probably do what I did with my Puppet Oddity Instruction eBook and Patterns and have it available as a PDF for instant download.

Ah, but I will have to make samples to photograph and include in the instruction eBook and I’m sure to make a few of those for variation. I really enjoy embroidering, so this task will not be horrifying, just time consuming. Hopefully my skills have improved over the years and I’ll be able to whip up a few samples in a day so that I can make them available as soon as possible. Of course, once I start I know I’ll want to keep embroidering and will probably find a way to make a few other projects as well. Who knows.

1 comment:

  1. Selling PDF patterns is where it's at! I think you'll do really well. And the best part is that once you make the pattern, all the hard work is over. The rest is just listing and selling over and over again. And no shipping, either! Everything's sent over email. Piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete