Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Writing

I’ve been thinking a lot about getting back into writing. Not for fame or fortune but for some sanity.

When I was a kid up until about ten years ago I wrote a lot of books. Some of them children’s books for which I also illustrated and some for young adults and even began an ambitious science fiction novel for adult readers. I think part of me likes to go back to storytelling because it was a place for me to express my feelings without them having to be directly from me and instead through characters. A little kooky? Yes.

Any artist will tell you that sanity is not part of the process, nor even part of their cognitive capabilities. It seems to be a constant search for self in which through creating we are constantly striving to be better at our craft, and in turn try to better understand why we were endowed with such abilities.

Part of the reason for me starting this blog was to see if forcing myself to write daily would entice my creativity or hinder it. Currently I have to say that it sometimes is a combination, but the act of writing daily is quite therapeutic. Besides, it helps me pace my morning coffee drinking habit!

So I think I’m going to try this again. Will I continue to write without a plot and make everything up as I go? Probably. Is that a little dangerous? Probably. However I feel the creative process each artist takes is as unique as each artist is. Some plan, others outline, some stick to a goal and others simply start because they were inspired by an idea that struck them while picking up a handful of dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment