Monday, June 7, 2010

Star Wars Sugar Cookies

When life gives you cookie cutters, make cookies. When your partner gives you Star Wars Cookie Cutters, beware of how long you will want to spend decorating!


A week and a half ago my partner had to go into Portland and asked if I wanted to go, to which I responded there was nothing I needed and/or wanted except, jokingly, Star Wars Cookie Cutters from Williams-Sonoma that had just come out. I made certain he knew that I was kidding. However, upon his return with a Williams-Sonoma bag, he had indeed purchased them. I giggled with glee!


I had planned on pulling them out of the box and start making cookies right then and there, but I was in the middle of a cake order before we were meeting some friends for happy hour that night, and the weekend was filled with two birthdays and two barbecues as well as a third we were invited to. This last weekend was quite tame with nothing on the docket, so Friday I made a batch of No-Chill Sugar Cookies and let them cool overnight while we went out for what has become a tradition of Chevy’s happy hour to end the week and a spontaneous trip back to one of our friend’s houses to watch… gasp… Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Good thing there was alcohol in my system before starting this movie!


Anyway, so Saturday was absolutely gorgeous and I decided instead of working out in the sun, and seeing as I had already done yard work the previous two days, I made a double batch of royal icing and started the arduous task of decorating. I knew that it would take a while, as I am notorious for thoroughly planning and experimenting until I get just the right technique down, which is usually when I have run out of whatever I was experimenting on, in this case, cookies. While I am not well-pleased with the results, they were satisfactory and I was left with a plethora of decorated Star Wars sugar cookies to figure out what to do with. Having church the following day, I decided to bring them with us and leave them next to the money collecting jug for our congregation’s youth trip to Montana in July as a thank-you for donating. Because nothing says thank-you like Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Yoda and a legion of Storm Troopers.


No comments:

Post a Comment