Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Cupboard Less Opened

Six cupboards diverged in a small kitchen
     And sorry I could not open all…
Especially that one above the refrigerator

Robert Frost would be so proud. Okay, so, here’s the deal. I decided to replace the hinge on the broken cupboard above the stove that gets used multiple times a day with the one above the refrigerator which I thought hadn’t been opened in about a year. Turns out not only was that estimate off, but also the contents of the cupboard itself too. Apparently we did get rid of the two sets of extra dishes we had stored in there, probably a garage sale or something, and it’s been years since we had one of those. What is currently residing is a lot of old serving plates and our plastic picnic plates, as well as a margarita set of glasses and a pitcher. But more frightening than anything is the half bottle of rum lying in there along with three unopened drink mixes. This made me realize that it has been many years since this cupboard was opened because since we got our shelving unit in the kitchen four years ago our alcohol has been stored on the top in a cocktail tray.

I laughed a hearty laugh, mostly at the bottle of Monarch Rum, a brand I have never even drank which means that it was from before I started drinking, which furthermore means is over five years old. I nearly vomited at the crustified particles that had sunk to the bottom of the drink mixes, but was too horrified to touch them and so I left them lying there on their sides next to the margarita glasses.

But, I had a job to do and I needed to do it. The mission was to take one of the hinges off the right door of the cupboard where nobody would notice it missing and put it onto the one above the stove so that it could be hung back up. This was fairly simple, although I did notice that the left cupboard door above the stove was a little bent out of shape and I’m not exactly sure how to go about fixing that short of taking it off and rebending the hinge to make it square again, which of course I haven’t done yet but will need to do in the near future.

Now a logical person after hanging the door back up and knowing full well that there was stuff that needed to be thrown away in the other cupboard would have taken out said stuff and tossed it. I am not that person. Instead I closed the door, put the canvas storage bins back in front of the cabinet and focused instead on being able to open and close the door above the stove without it trying to impale me to death or take out an eye. However, after writing this now I have guilt for not cleaning it out and will probably end up doing so after I post this. Stupid conscience.

No comments:

Post a Comment