Friday, May 7, 2010

Half Bath Renovation: Now What?

With the half bathroom fairly finished now, it looks, well, empty. At least the floor is pretty to look at, right?

I finally broke down and applied Liquid Nails to the back of the sink and pressed it against the wall, still resting on both the pedestal and metal wall piece from the previous sink. After making sure it wasn’t going anywhere I caulked around the sides and top where the sink meets the wall to prevent any water damage that may occur from splashing. Now I just have to get the paint out again and paint the sections where the old sink was and the new sink doesn’t cover and the walls will be completely painted.


However, now the dilemma has become what to do with décor. When the room was filled with Looney Tunes characters it had “art” and a cohesive look, but with all of those painted over in a solid color, the room feels naked. I’m not saying I want to cover everything up in clutter and make it a clusterflust-of-conglomerate-crap, just that it needs a few things to make it looked finished. You know, like maybe a large picture, a cabinet above the toilet and a candle or small houseplant.


I picked up a glass shelf to go above the sink, but I think where it would be placed and the placement of the medicine cabinet will inhibit most of its function, not to mention get in the way of the faucet. Then I thought that a small corner shelf on the wall between the sink and door would work to hold hand soap, but haven’t found anything that I like that matches those criteria. And then there is the wall cabinet for above the toilet, which apparently what I have in my head that I want and what is available on the market are two very different things. I mean, we don’t want anything huge, just something large enough to hold a few towels and some toilet paper and not look like a ghetto melamine covered piece of glued sawdust and paperboard. And while sitting on the toilet, it would be nice to have some artwork to look at, but the sicko in me also thinks a full length mirror would be hilarious!


But for now the walls remain bare and there is nowhere to place a soap dispenser and there isn’t even a trash can on the floor. I’m sure we’ll find some things that will work, but in the meantime I keep looking at the floor and cursing the rest of the room for not looking as good as it.


3 comments:

  1. First off, Cory, let me say that you guys did a fab-u-lous job on that bathroom! Do I love pedistal sinks? Yes I do. And, 2ndly, I have faith that you will come up with something "tre' shiek" for the decor....I await your masterpiece! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, guys. Ok so yeah it looks beautiful & it is really cool in the bathroom, but let me be the devil's advocate! We had tile in our kitchen, dining room & both entryways, which was all connected, as well as in our two bathrooms. Loved it in our bathrooms! BUT in the other places I was not happy with it. If anything got dropped it broke, including a bottle of nail polish, which did clean up off the floor but it splatter on the cabnet! Not good. It is not forgiving. And it is cold! Not good for bare feet. It is also very hard to stand on, hard on your back. Of course you can put down area rugs, but then you are covering up the beautiful floors. Can you tell I would NEVER have it again? Sorry, but beauty comes at a price....weigh the odds...think about it. It's not like you can just take it out once it is in....lots of $$$$$. Hey, just my opinion! It sure was pretty though!!! Next time I am going with wood laminate, of course I love the look of hardwood floors. Even some of the better vinyl that looks like tile would be better on the feet, back & glasswear! Love ya and I am sure whatever you do will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fortunately with stone if it chips it still looks good, just might need a little touch up of sealer, but we are definitely going to go with a radiant heat source of some type in the kitchen and main bath anyway. In the half bath, the floor feels warm to the bare foot, surprisingly, but that could be because we were testing it out when the heat was on.

    ReplyDelete