Friday, May 21, 2010

Nephews

Yesterday we had six nephews, two on my partner’s side and four from my side. And then there were seven.

When my sister told us she was pregnant again, I knew right away that it was going to be a boy. Yes, the laws of science say that a girl should pop into the equation at some point considering girls are natural and boys are defects, but then again, my family is quite defective. Sure enough, ultrasound came back boy.

For some reason my brothers and sisters (I guess technically a brother and a sister since the rest do not have children or at the very least none that they know of and/or have informed their family about) seem to only be able to produce boys. At least my partner’s siblings have an equal number as his older brother had a boy and his younger brother had two girls and a boy.

So we get the text message that my sister is in labor yesterday (and yes, texting seems to be the preferred way to talk in our family, followed of course by Facebook wall posts) and my immediate reaction is that she has incredibly bad timing. This weekend I am busy with a multitude of activities and cake orders that I had to start working on and was in the middle of doing yard work for a friend at our church. Me being me, I ignored the message and continued to dig and plant flowers.

And so when I got home I baked up about half of the cakes I needed to bake and my partner and I headed to the hospital where we found that over the course of the last eight hours my sister had failed to produce a baby yet. So we went to Mongolian Grill with my other sister’s husband and ate before going back to the hospital to wait. And wait. And wait some more. As the clock began to approach eleven, we decided to head back home and about a quarter till two we received text messages, picture messages no less, of our newest nephew, Usiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment