Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Honey-Do Lists

Do you ever wake up and open the cupboard door where the coffee is stored and have the door fly off the hinges and nearly impale you? If not… lucky.

So our kitchen cabinets are old, I mean as old as the house anyway which was built in 1956. Furthermore the hinges are all the original brass hinges with the exception of the ones under the sink which have been replaced at least four times since we moved in. I don’t know, I guess they get a lot of use, or perhaps my kicking them shut and using my foot to open them isn’t the most gentle of things to do.

Well, let’s see, Sunday morning I wake up, shower, get dressed, feed the animals and open the cabinet to get the coffee canister and filters and the top hinge had apparently been compromised because the door almost took out an eye. I like my eyes and would hate for anything to happen to them. So what would the next logical step be? Remove the cabinet before it takes out someone else’s eye? You’d think, but instead I made my coffee, put it back into the cabinet and carefully propped the door back up and made sure the little magnet (also over fifty years old) secured it into place. Monday morning was a repeat of nearly taking out an eye, but this time I grabbed a screw driver and took the door off and placed it next to the stove. This made me realize two things: I really do like not being able to see what is behind the cabinet door; I really have to clean out this cabinet yet again.

Then upon further inspection, I believe I do not necessarily have to get a new hinge, but merely take one of the hinges off of one of the cabinet doors above the refrigerator which haven’t been opened in over a year. There isn’t much in there we use anyway, since we don’t entertain nearly enough to need more than four martini glasses, four margarita glasses (both of which work interchangeably), eight cocktail glasses (which also work for both margaritas and martinis), six pub glasses and who knows how many wine and champagne glasses we have in the cupboard we store our glasses and mugs in. The one over the fridge is more of the same, along with two sets of dishes we really should just get rid of. I figure they are short enough that one hinge should in theory be all that is required to keep it in place. If not, I’ll find another at a local hardware store and pray that it will fit in the same place, which has been the main issue with the sink cabinet as is evident in the multitude of holes next to, above and below the current hinges.

Of course, the biggest issue is when I will decide to go ahead and take care of this. Something tells me it’ll be sooner than later as I really hate looking at the nutritional information on the sides of our cereal boxes, especially the one for Cap’n Crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment