Monday, May 24, 2010

My Poor Quilt

Alone lying upon the dining table
     Folded, pressed, pinned
Awaiting the return of gentle hands
     Sew, bind, finish

Okay, so I’ll never be a poet and I am okay with that. However, my neglectful duties to the projects I have started didn’t stop with the gardens, but has also extended to my quilt as well. I’ve started the tiled border on it, which is basically just alternating squares of plain muslin with leftover squares of patterned fabric used in the quilt, as well as pieced scraps to form about half of the squares to complete this border. Hopefully it’ll look as neat in real life as it does in my head.

Sometimes overthinking causes me to question whether or not the decisions I have made will produce the results I intend. Most of the time there are happy accidents, but the fear of disaster is not far from my mind and looms there like a violent storm cloud about to unleash it’s fury. Okay, that may be a little dramatic as I allow the young adult thriller author in me to escape for a second, but this is my first regular sized person quilt and I don’t want to mess it up. I’m not aiming for perfect, just something I’d actually want to use and not stow away in the linen closet or worse, to cover the couch for the dog to sleep on.

Then again I could always think of it as a practice quilt, in which case I could analyze the inner workings of every part of the process to death and use those valuable skills learned and apply them to future quilts. This seems like a good idea, but at the heart is just the procrastinator in me trying to justify my lack of progress.

Alas, I suppose it will be finished when it is finished. I’ve got everything I need to complete the project and maybe I should just sew on the tiled border, another solid border and start quilting it. I just wish I could decide on whether or not to hand quilt the blanket or use the sewing machine or utilize both methods. For now I just want my dining table back.

No comments:

Post a Comment