Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Overbooked

Do you ever schedule something then something else comes up and you agree to schedule that too not realizing that they are both at the same time on the same day? While I am not as bad as some people I know (and you know who you are), I certainly am guilty of overcommitting myself.

Most of my cake orders I do are taken weeks if not months in advance and this works out fairly well for planning and scheduling and such. However, when unexpected events happen and I agree to take other orders or be somewhere for something, my brain skips over previous commitments, especially if I don’t have them on my phone’s calendar. You can seriously ask people, the first thing I do is whip out my phone and check it for scheduling conflicts.

How is it that these seemingly unitasking devices have become so vital to everyday life? I remember when a phone was used for talking and that is probably the least popular thing I do with mine. If I don’t have the events listed in my calendar in my phone I somehow think I don’t have anything going on that day, even if my Google Calendar says otherwise. I guess this is where having a smart phone would come in handy, you know, to keep track of engagements.

But alas, I’ve got a complicated cake order due in Lewisville Park and a funeral, for which I am also making cake, at about the same time. Oh, the joy! I’m thinking it might be a good idea to decorate all the funeral cakes at the church and leave it there the night before just to make sure they have it, or at the very least drop them off that morning before heading up to Battle Ground.

Why is it that I can go months without anything going on then one day, usually at the same time, have three, four, sometimes five different events I’ve either been invited to, asked to make a cake for or both? Something tells me God has a twisted sense of humor, or maybe just likes to see how we handle a challenge. We’ll see how this Saturday goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment