Saturday, August 14, 2010

Failure is Not an Option

Okay, so here’s the situation: I’ve gone and stretched myself too thin again. I can’t say that I’m surprised.

I don’t know what it is, but I find it especially hard to say no to family unless I absolutely cannot do something. Usually this means I won’t even be in town. However, I swore that I’d be able to make my 2nd cousin’s 5th birthday cake today and I feel like I’m going to let her down because I honestly don’t have the time to devote to making it perfect. I just hope that I can at least make it look decent enough for people to want to eat it!

Last night I was able to deliver two cakes from my overbooked day I have today, which alleviated having to figure out how to get them 45 minutes from here to Kelso when I knew I’d still have decorating to do. I have about half of the 200 cupcakes for that order frosted and will finish those up after posting this blog. After that I suppose I’ll have to decorate my 2nd cousin’s cake with a whimsical under the sea theme. It’s a Jell-O cake, so I’m thinking it’ll have to have real whipped cream (I know I posted using Cool Whip in yesterday’s Jell-O cake post, but honestly, there’s nothing like real whipped cream… and I have a ton of heavy cream in the fridge from my overestimation for all these cake orders!) Fortunately most of my decorations are in the form of gummy mermaids, lobsters, sharks and shells.

While I am confident in my ability to get all these cupcakes frosted and decorated, it is the transported I’m worried about. With the heat expected to be in the upper 90s today I fear that my chocolate ganache covered cupcakes will possibly melt. I’m not too worried about the cream cheese or buttercream frosted ones as they seem to be able to withstand some heat stress, I just need to make sure they are all frosted and allowed to crust, which is a thin protective barrier between it and the outside world. Alas, I know everything will turn out okay in the end, but it is the present that freaks me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment