Monday, August 9, 2010

Uninspired Quilting

It is time to get back to working on this quilt project I started last month. I just wish I had some motivation.

Thinking I needed to do something with all the excess fabric in my stashes, I pulled out the fabric for a quilt I intended to make four years ago but, well, never got around to actually doing anything other than cutting squares. Anyway, so I created a pattern that worked and cut the pieces further to fit said pattern and sewed up all the squares and most of the rows. That should recap nicely for my not-so-daily readers. Now I’m thinking I have got to get the top at least put together as I’m tired of looking at this project lying in my dining room.

I know that part of my reason for delay is that it I’m not keeping it or giving it away, but plan on selling it. I guess the Profit Motive isn’t such a motivating factor as the government would lead us to believe… at least not with me. Perhaps I’m not the best business person, but when I feel a personal connection with something it works, and when I begin a project with a disconnect it doesn’t so much. I know when I make cakes I feel personally vested in the project because I know what it will mean to the recipient. Methinks I need to rethink my rethunk.

While my partner and our friend were running a garage sale this last Saturday, I kept looking through the garage and house finding stuff to sell. I remembered we had a bunch of old wooden thread spools from textile mills in a box we had used as candle holders and priced them and put them out. Right after doing so I went inside to check what they were going for online and quickly gathered them all up, cleaned them of any wax residue and posted them on my Etsy shop. Funny, that was definitely motivated by profit, so what is my issue with this quilt?

Perhaps the underlying issue is that I originally intended this to be for a very good friend of mine, but some of the colors she dislikes and the patterns really aren’t her style. The more I look at them the more this becomes obvious, but four years ago I thought it would be perfect. Maybe after I get over that it’ll be fine and I’ll be able to finish the project. Or perhaps rethinking its purpose from a regular quilt to maybe a picnic blanket would help. Then again, maybe it could be a multipurpose quilt and I will just have to figure out how best to advertise that. I guess this will be a good learning experience in the future, but during the present it is just damned annoying.

1 comment:

  1. I like the picnic blanket idea! Unfinished projects are so haunting, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete