Sunday, August 15, 2010

Random Guest Status

Last night I attended the wedding reception of someone I do not know. When asked to write our connection to the bride and/or groom on a name tag, I assigned myself as a “Random Guest.”

Okay, so I’ll freely admit I wasn’t planning on attending this particular reception. I had every intention of setting up the cupcakes and heading home as I wasn’t feeling well due to the heat and lack of sleep over the last few days. However, I was invited by friends of ours from church because it was their son’s reception, and after putting the cupcakes into place I felt much better. That, and there was beer and wine.

This isn’t to say that the only reason that kept me there was the presence of alcohol, but I’d be lying to myself if I say it didn’t factor into my decision. I guess I would also have to admit that I went to high school with the groom, albeit graduated the year before him and was quite familiar with him during the three years we attended Hudson’s Bay High School. However, we never talked nor had any classes together so our paths never crossed.

Still not enough of a reason to stay? Okay, the place was air conditioned. There. That’s the real reason. I mean, after baking in our home for the last few days in a hot kitchen in a hot house and spending the afternoon outside in the hot heat, the cool air coming out of the floor vents while I was putting cupcakes onto a stand and around the table felt quite refreshing. Mmm… Freon. During heat waves it is enough to make me want to just go turn the car on in the driveway and sit with the air conditioning on, feeling the cool breeze on my skin. But alas, this time it was in the form of a wedding reception with beer and wine and good food in an air conditioned building. At least I was honest when people asked my connection!

Does this make me a wedding crasher? I don’t think so. I did know quite a few of the guests, as there were people from our church there, so my “Random Guest” didn’t seem so bad… especially next to the jester who had “Groom’s Biological Father” on his name tag. Besides, I brought cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment