Monday, August 16, 2010

Vacation Bible School

In a couple days our church’s Vacation Bible School will begin. Which means in a couple days I’ll be quite busy with craft projects.

When I was a kid, Vacation Bible School meant that we would go to the church across the street from us (which we never attended, by the way) and partook in a variety of activities over the course of a week in August. I don’t ever remember getting anything religious out of it, but I do remember making placemats… and playing Red Rover. Kids being kids, and none of us really knowing each other’s names nor were wearing name tags, while playing Red Rover we would simply shout out the most obvious difference between us as the next person to try to break our line. Yes, I’m guilty of yelling four eyes to the only kid with glasses, but in my defense he called me dog ears thanks to my hearing aids I wore as a kid. It wasn’t malicious, it just popped out.

For the first time in a while our own church is stretching out V.B.S. over three half days, which has its ups and downs, but I think will be better for the kids involved. The past couple years anyway we’ve had one long day, which towards the end kids were a little rambitious (please note that I will use any random non-word in place of real words if it so suits me, which if you’ve read my blog over the last 225+ posts I’ve written since the beginning of the year, you’d know isn’t an uncommon occurrence.) Having half days will hopefully mean the lessons being taught towards the end of the day won’t be fraught with crankiness.

My part in all of this is that I’m making crafts, in particular rain sticks and bracelets depicting the life cycle of a salmon. Honestly I should have gotten all materials needed for this by now, but alas, I have an uncanny ability to procrastinate everything until the very last possible minute. I should probably read up on rain sticks or figure out a list of items to get at the craft store, hardware store and office supply store, but instead I’m drinking coffee and writing about my intentions. Good thing I’m not a real teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment