Monday, August 30, 2010

Homegrown Vegetables

Last night I made Chicken Curry and decided to pull a few carrots and onions out of the garden to make it with. It was, hands down, the most delicious curry I’ve made.

When I pulled the carrots, I expected them to be like ones that I’d pulled before: short, stumpy and wide. However, the three I pulled last night were near perfect specimens. Okay, so one was a near perfect specimen, one looked like a mandrake root from Harry Potter, and the third was somewhere in between. Still, larger than any I had pulled up before. The onions have been slowly getting harvested as needed, and part of me wishes I had planted more. They are sweeter and have a pretty intense bite compared to their grocery store counterparts, and actually made me cry as I cut into them. I lit a candle and moved on.

Potatoes I can’t justify planting myself, just yet anyway, because they are so incredibly inexpensive. The same, I know, can be said of onions, but if you’ve been buying onions for the last few months, at least here in the Northwest, they’ve been pretty terrible. I’m glad we planted our own this year. Perhaps I should plant a winter crop of onions for a spring harvest?

After roughly chopping the veggies and throwing them in a pot with a few chicken breasts cut to about the same size, I allowed everything to simmer for a couple hours as we waited for my cousin and her daughter to show up for dinner. The rice had been done before I even got to cooking the curry, so I put a lid on it and kept it off the heat. Meanwhile, we watched the Emmy’s. Our favorite show one best Comedy and my cousin never showed, but the curry was to die for. I’m telling you, there really is nothing like making a meal with food you’ve grown yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment