Friday, August 13, 2010

Jell-O Cakes

Cake and Jell-O don’t at first seem like an obvious pairing. But together they can be a light dessert perfect for a hot summer day.

When I first met my partner back in 1995, one of the few things he made was Jell-O cake. My first reaction was, “Ew!” However, after having tried it many times during our first couple years together, it became almost a weekly thing, especially during the late spring and summer months. I can honestly say that I don’t remember the last time I actually had it, but a conversation we had a couple days ago sparked my interest again.

My little 2nd cousin is having her 5th birthday party on Saturday and wanted cake and Jell-O shots (nonalcoholic, mind you.) While drumming up a design, my brain went back to the Jell-O cake, so simple, light and delicious. So much so, I feel the need to share it with you.

Jell-O Cake
1 box white cake mix, prepared
1 small box Jell-O
1 cup boiling water
1 (8oz) tub Cool Whip

Prepare the white cake in a 13x9 pan and allow to cool. I recently acquired the knowledge that the technical difference between a white cake and a yellow cake is that white contains only egg whites while a yellow cake contains whole eggs. Huh, I feel silly for not know this, but whatever. Make the cake with eggs whites, please, as it shows off the pretty colors of the Jell-O. With a toothpick, puncture holes in various places all over the cake. About a dozen or two should suffice. For a different effect, use a fork.

Using any flavor of Jell-O, dissolve in 1 cup boiling water in a medium bowl by stirring for about two minutes then pour over cake evenly to fill in the holes. Refrigerate for at least a couple hours, four preferred. Cover with Cool whip and keep refrigerated until ready to eat.

You can use a large box of Jell-O if you wish, just use 2 cups of boiling water, but I find that is almost too much Jell-O and runs the risk of making the cake too soggy. Then again, it isn’t going to harm the cake since it is a refrigerator cake, so do so if you’d like. Also try using two different flavors and colors of Jell-O for a tie-dyed effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment