Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fall Pet Blanket: Started

With fall currently well under way, I figured it was time to start my fall projects that should’ve been done a month ago. Better late than never, right?



Using the current pet blankets, I arranged and rearranged the Charm squares from Moda’s Gobble Gobble by Sandy Gervais until I was well pleased with the results. I then stacked them into rows, chain stitched them into pairs, then the pairs into fours, two rows of fours and finally into finished blocks of 16 squares each.



With the remaining 10 squares, I am probably going to save the patterned ones for another project and the solids I specifically set aside to use on my fall quilt. My plan is to create appliqué pieces for the four feature panels using the solid charms, but I haven’t exactly planned this portion out too much. I’m pretty sure one will be a pumpkin, one a maple leaf, one an oak leaf and the final an acorn. These feature panels I’m also thinking of doing special hand quilting to really make them pop out, which should be an adventure in and of itself.


However, this week being my first week back to work in nearly two years, a major cake order due Friday, and a play my partner has been helping one of the local high school’s with starting tomorrow and running until Sunday, my sewing time will be limited. I guess I’ll have to get creative about being creative.

2 comments:

  1. I'm making a table runner from this line too at the moment.

    (And when I recently made my dogs a quilt and blogged about it some people said I was crazy -it's nice to know I'm not the only one )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly do it out of practicality, but feel it has to be pretty to look at too otherwise I'd just leave the big holes our dog has put in the couch for all to see! Make a doggy quilt that can be removed and washed once a week makes good sense, and making it from a Charm pack and muslin for filler fabric and backing it in polar fleece will also make it an inexpensive project.

    ReplyDelete