Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Quilt vs. Uninspired Quilt

If you’ve been reading my blog with any regularity, you know that I’ve been working on a project for the last couple months I’ve dubbed the Uninspired Quilt. Well, I may have to go back on my word about finishing it before starting my Fall Quilt.

Okay, so here’s the situation. I thought I had two packages of needle punched cotton batting, which I’d need to finish the Uninspired Quilt and start my Fall Quilt. The problem is that I only have one, or I can only find one at least. My craft room is so chaotic right now there are probably dead bodies in there or entire civilizations lost somewhere amongst the piles of fleece, fabric and fondant. So with only one package, I’ve made the decision to put the Uninspired Quilt on hold for the time being so I can start the Fall Quilt.

Who knows, maybe by the time I actually get around to quilting the Fall Quilt I’ll find the other package of batting I’m almost certain I have and be able to quilt both of them at the same time. Of course, that means I’ll have to decide on a quilting pattern, which is almost as stressful as figuring out block patterns for the quilt design itself. I do believe that I’ve found the design I’d like to use for the Fall Quilt after flipping through the book, Material Obsession by Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke (which you should totally check out as they have combined modern and traditional quilts), combining 4 large feature panels with 11 Courthouse Steps blocks. It’s perfect for my Jelly Roll of Moda’s Mix & Mingle by Sandy Gervais. Well, perfect except I need to figure out what to do for the feature panels. More than likely I’ll make them out of the brown background fabric I have and appliqué leaves, pumpkins and acorns or something so it is actually reflective of my unique style I’ve employed on a multitude of baby blankets.


The worst part is that a major craft store is having a 2 for 1 deal on all of their batting right now and I can’t afford to buy any to stock up on future projects. Well, I will get a little money from a cake order today which will cover the cost of one so I could use it to get a couple tonight or tomorrow if I wanted to, so perhaps I shouldn’t pack up the Uninspired Quilt just yet. Maybe once it is finally finished I’ll be able to call it by the name I originally had, which is Open Envelopes, which is the block design I created for the quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment