Friday, October 29, 2010

Work and Cake

Last night after work I had to decorate a cake. I haven’t had the hurried cake making experience like that it years.

Even though this cake isn’t due until later this evening, in order for it to be done I had to put it all together yesterday. There are certainly some disadvantages to this, mainly making sure the cake doesn’t dry out before getting eaten, which I was told would be Saturday. One way to counteract this is to tort the cake and fill the layers, which is something I usually reserve for my Death by Chocolate cake and wedding cakes, but with this being out as long as a wedding cake would be before getting eaten, I decided it would be best to give it the same treatment.

Now, with the theme being popcorn, I made the cake in the shape of a popcorn bucket, a little larger on the top and tapering slightly towards the bottom, frosted it and was thinking about simply putting red stripes over the frosting. However, then I decided to cover it in fondant. Sometimes it is best to simply go with your original plan. Because the cake was so tall, I had to roll out the fondant larger than usual in order to completely cover it, but because I frosted the cake like a regular cake and not for covering in fondant, there was a bit of an issue with frosting oozing out the bottom as I formed the fondant around the cake, which in turn made the bucket look a little wonky. Oh well, it’ll be a happy accident and looks fun, perfect for a little girl’s birthday party. I even made fondant popcorn in various buttery shades to cover the top of the cake and a few popped kernels around the base. I’d put a picture up, but the birthday girl hasn’t seen it yet, so I’ll wait until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment