Friday, October 8, 2010

Uninspired Quilt: Backing

Using my handy calculator on my phone, I punched in the square inches and figured I had more than enough fabric to simply cut it in half lengthwise and sew back together widthwise. Unfortunately, after actually measuring the fabric, I had either been shorted nearly half a yard or only bought 2½ yards of it.

Still, with 2½ yards, I would be cutting it close, literally, but I’d have to be a little more creative. When I thought about having to piece together a bunch of random sized fabrics to make this work, I decided to simply use some of the leftovers from the topper to create a simple design in the center of the back. This turned out better than I had originally anticipated, so much so that I’m thinking of appliquéing a few simple designs (hearts, circles or squares) onto the back before I quilt the whole thing together. That will make this a reversible quilt, and we all know people like two-for-one deals.

Funnily, now that I’m so close to finishing the quilt, it has grown on me and I think will be difficult to part with. I think that is why with all of the baby blankets I’ve made I try to make them from start to finish in an afternoon so I don’t get emotionally attached. Of course, I’m wondering if simply separating my fabric into “Mine for Keep” and “Projects for Sale” will help, but I doubt it.

Perhaps I just need to stick with a specific quilt design that I’m familiar with and only make those for now to put in my Etsy shop, such as my baby blanket design. Making different center appliqués is fairly simple and I can design and cut out a dozen different patterns for them relatively quickly. Maybe I need to challenge myself to find out just how many I can make in a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment