Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall Quilt

Okay, so maybe I haven’t finished the Uninspired Quilt yet. But seriously, times-a-passing and autumn is here so I want to get this fall quilt done pronto!

I have a Moda Jelly Roll of Sandy Gervais’s incredibly difficult to find Mix & Mingle (admittedly, it is three years old so this isn’t surprising), a Charm Pack of her Gobble Gobble line and 3 yards of her solid brown. It appears I must also admit that I love Sandy Gervais as a designer too. Something about nearly every line she’s come out with inspires me to have fun with her fabrics. Actually that may just be it… her fabric designs are fun.



Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make the Mix & Mingle quilt since I brought home the Jelly Roll and solid brown fabric. The Charm Pack of Gobble Gobble will be used for the sofa’s pet blanket, which I think I’ll redesign to make it more efficient than my first seat covers I did with Ms. Gervais’s Frolic line, which coordinates with the quilt I made with the Scrap Bag I picked up in St. Helens. I unfortunately couldn’t find a Mix & Mingle Charm Pack and didn’t know if there would be enough leftover fabric to make seat covers, so I picked up the Gobble Gobble charm pack. If I can make seat covers with leftovers from the Jelly Roll, I’ll use the charm pack for another project.


While I love the framed 9-patch pattern I used for the Summer Quilt, I want to use or make a pattern that utilizes the strips in a way that reduces the amount of cutting necessary. I don’t want to do this because I’m lazy, I want to do this because I really want to take advantage of these 2½ x 44 inch strips. Part of me is thinking about sewing 4 or 5 of these strips together and cutting them down to square blocks then rearranging them into a parquet pattern, while another part of me simply wants to sew two strips together to form 20 long strips and alternate them with strips of the solid brown. The latter would be easier, but it wouldn’t be much of a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment