Monday, October 4, 2010

Uninspired Quilt: Contemplating Quilting Techniques

With it already being October, I need to start work on my autumn quilt before fall is over. However, I refuse to begin until I’ve finished the Uninspired Quilt.

I really need to stop calling it the Uninspired Quilt now, since it is completely impeding on my chances of finishing the damn thing. On a good note I have completed the top which, arguably, is the halfway mark. The quilting portion will be the next step, unless I didn’t get enough backing fabric all those years ago. More than likely I’ll have to do a simple design to extend the backing fabric, but I think I’ll just do something with the leftover fabric from the front. I mean, I don’t intend this quilt to be reversible, but if it turns out to be that’ll definitely be a bonus.

Now that the front is done I have to admit that it is beginning to grow on me. Perhaps the term “uninspired” can transform into “challenge” although that seems highly unlikely. I designed a fairly simple pattern, sewed it all together, put a border around the whole thing in relatively little time, and now it is sitting on the dining room table awaiting the final processes of quilting and binding to be completed. The hard part is deciding if I want to do a simple straight stitch quilting or try my hand at free-motion? Or do I want to dabble into hand quilting instead of using the sewing machine?

No comments:

Post a Comment