Friday, October 15, 2010

Volunteering

This morning I was at the Clark College Advisory Board Recognition Breakfast. While sitting down and enjoying a delicious meal before the program started, I asked myself why is it that I volunteer my time and talents?

Often we hear of people complaining they don’t have enough money to throw at a particular charity or cause, and all too often, that is the case. But for those people, why not then give those charities or causes a little of your time or offer to help with an upcoming project? After all, giving time out of your day is just as valuable as money from your wallet. For me, I’ve never had much cash on hand or in the bank, but I usually have a little time I can spare for a good cause.

Sometimes I wonder what it is that others see in me that makes them think I would be a good candidate for a particular volunteer activity, especially being on the Business Administration Advisory Committee at Clark College when I am not even a college graduate. However, with today’s breakfast and program it became pretty clear… my experience in the workforce. I may not have all the answers (yes, shocking, I know, that I’d even admit that) but I am able to put relevancy into play. That, and after years of thinking I needed to keep my opinions to myself, I’ve become quite vocal about what I think needs to be done and what needs to be cut from various programs. Apparently that assertiveness is welcome in this environment, even when in other situations it may be grounds for termination.

I also volunteer my time on various committees at my church, and through church, various social outreach and community events. I find that giving a little of myself actually makes me feel more whole and enriched as a human being. While it is true you don’t make money as a volunteer, but what you gain is a lot more fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment