Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

It was the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in nineteen-eighteen that signaled the end of World War I. The beginnings of Veterans Day was born.

I can probably count the number of veterans I know, and sadly have known, on one hand. I don’t come from a military family and very few of my friends did either. But I’m proud to count among my grandparents one who served in World War II and one who served in Korea, and I’m also proud to count among my friends one who served in Iraq. While they all made it back home, my grandfather who served in Korea is the only one still living, and with his current health problems that time might not be for much longer.

Honestly I have no idea if any of my various aunts, uncles or cousins were in the military because nobody ever talked about it. I know my mother’s dad was a farmer and mom was a riveter (as in Rosie the Riveter) during World War II, but couldn’t tell you anything beyond that. So if there is anyone I didn’t mention, I apologize. However, with that being said:

Thank you, Ray.

Thank you, Stan.

Thank you, Nikk.

No comments:

Post a Comment