Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day


It is St. Patrick’s Day and, if you observe Lent, have a day off to feast and consume alcohol. Of course, most people use it as an excuse to get shit-faced drunk and become public nuisances.

Growing up, I never really knew why we celebrated St. Patrick’s Day. The only thing I did know was that it came about a month after St. Valentine’s Day only instead of giving out valentine cards you were allowed to pinch anyone not wearing green. I used to purposefully not wear green on St. Patrick’s Day as a child in protest of being forced to wear something green, even though it is my favorite color and probably was the most abundant in my wardrobe. What can I say, it’s the Irish rebel in me.

Anyway, I used to think that being a quarter Irish qualified me enough and due to that was not required to wear the official green. However, after my Irish grandmother passed away, I found out she indeed was only half Irish and that her sister and another sister’s husband were her real mother and father. So now I’m only twelve-and-a-half percent Irish. Eeek!

So today it looks like I will be wearing my Lucky Charms shirt (well, one of them anyway) and green scrubs to work. I suppose to help the day off I should also have a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal, especially since I’m not as Irish as I used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment