Saturday, March 31, 2012

New Chicks Outside


Sometimes you make decisions because it is the right thing to do. Other times you make decisions because it’s better than Cornish game hen substitutes.

Okay, so I wouldn’t have culled and cooked the new chicks. Yes, I know they are only four weeks old and the weather is still a bit crummy. But it was time to put the new chicks outside with the rest of the hens. They’re just so messy! I’m sure I’d feel differently if they ever wanted to be held and cuddled, but these three are so skittish that we decided once they were big enough to reach the feeder in the coop’s run we’d put them out. Well, they’re close enough.

I’m thinking it might be best to go ahead and put their water and food in the henhouse in a corner for the weekend until they get used to it since I see this morning they haven’t exited down the ramp. That or they haven’t figured out how to do so yet. It happens. The last chicks we had our Dominique hen raise took a week to figure it out and they were raised inside the coop! I guess we’ll see how it goes over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment