Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Day After

With boxes and ribbons and bows and papers strewn across the living room, it is quite obviously the day after Christmas. Of course, we could’ve cleaned up right after opening, but where’s the fun in that?

After opening our presents and calling the out-of-town family who sent us stuff, we immediately got cleaned up for the day to prepare for Christmas with my partner’s dad, which also doubles as his birthday. My partner packed the traditional Pumpkin Cookies he made for his dad’s birthday, from his dad’s first wife’s recipe, which got passed down to his dad’s mom after they divorced and then my partner took over making them after she passed away. Without a doubt as to what I would be asked to bring for dinner, I started making my famous Macaroni and Cheese. It was delicious as usual, and there were even leftovers to take to my stepbrother’s girlfriend whom the day before we had had a forty-five minute conversation about macaroni and cheese.

But now, as I’m blogging in my new robe my partner’s mom and stepdad got me that is so incredibly comfortable and warm and I swear I’m not writing this for their benefit because they don’t even read this blog, I’m looking over the screen on the laptop at piles of trash that need to be separated and boxes we should start using to pack stuff away for the inevitable move. I guess it’ll have to wait until after church. Good thing garbage day is tomorrow, otherwise we may not be motivated to take it all out of the living room and into the trash can!

Ah, the day after Christmas, when all the festivities have died down and the radio station has switched back to its usual mix of soft rock (right at midnight, no less) and the world gets back to business as usual… except for retail, which today is the biggest returns day of the year. Thank gawd I’m not doing that anymore! Now it’s time to plan New Year’s Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment