Thursday, December 2, 2010

Not Telemarketing Material

While I know this job wasn’t a dream by anybody’s standards, it was a paying job nonetheless. Apparently I’m just not cut out to be a telemarketer.

So after having, arguably, the best day at work where I was setting appointments easily and getting people interested in what the company could offer, I get called into the office five minutes before the day is over. With the personnel manager on one side and the manager on the other, they inform me that I’m just not a good fit for the company. After asking why, specifically, I wasn’t a good fit, they told me that this job isn’t for everyone. Dodging the question during an exit interview seems cowardly and unlike either of them, which tells me that someone else who wasn’t in the room made the decision.

I’m not sure why I cared so much, but I was quite visibly distraught, crying, and could not for the life of me stop shaking. Why would I feel so shaken up over a job I didn’t even like? Then the realization that it was the first job offer I had gotten since becoming unemployed set in, and instead of making a calculated, educated decision on the matter, simply said yes right away. Beggars can’t be choosers, after all, and this job market is far too competitive to let any chance of work go, especially a full time job with great hours, even if the pay is shitty and the benefits practically nonexistent.

And so now I go back onto the job hunt, hopefully with more knowledge than I had last time I was let go, and hopefully with a better chance at finding a job that does fit me. While I am still slightly pessimistic at the chance I’ll be happy with the next job I find, I know one thing… it won’t be in a call center as a telemarketer.

1 comment: