Monday, December 13, 2010

North Pole Village

For as long as I’ve known my partner he has had pieces for Department 56’s North Pole Village. I finally convinced him we needed to put them out this year.

 

While we haven’t added to the collection in some years now as the newer pieces lack the charm and hand painted characteristics of the older ones, we do have quite an impressive village. I remember one year, because it was so large, we decided to try to display them all together on a long table. The problem with that was that they all got lost in one another and you were unable to appreciate them. The next year I made inserts for our multimedia towers’s top two cubbies out of blue and white poster board and hand stamped falling snow onto the dark blue to create a wintery background, which we used for a couple years before storing away. The last time we had any pieces displayed was in 2006, and at that was only seven buildings.




And so with all the crap coming down in our household this Christmastime, I felt, after spouting that I was cancelling Christmas because of my Scrooge-like, bah-humbug attitude, that I didn’t want our last Christmas in this house to be a bad one. So I decorated the tree and house and made the suggestion (not so subtly on this blog) that I would convince my partner we should put out the North Pole Village. After it was all set up, he’s glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment