Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese

Due to a multitude of requests, I’ve decided to post my recipe for Macaroni and Cheese. However, I’ve given it out to so many people who still insist that I make it instead, so I doubt anything will change.

Years ago as I was figuring out various methods of cooking comfort foods, I came across recipes for macaroni and cheese that looked appealing as far as ease was concerned, but not so appetizing as far as taste or budget. I mean, this is macaroni and cheese so it shouldn’t cost an assload of money in various cheeses, nor should it resemble the boxed variety when it’s complete. After a few experimental dinners, this is pretty much the standard recipe I now use, as well as its low-fat cousin on occasion. I usually make this as a side dish, so having the extra fat in it doesn’t bother me so much, especially when serving alongside chicken or pork and veggies. This recipe makes enough for eight to twelve side servings or four to six as a main course, to which I would add a mixed baby green salad with a simple vinaigrette.

Cory’s Macaroni & Cheese

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2½ cups half & half
1 medium onion, diced
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
8 oz penne rigate pasta
1 lb Tillamook Vintage White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ cup buttered bread crumbs (or seasoned crouton crumbs)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large stock pot filled halfway with water, cover and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter then incorporate the flour thoroughly and allow to cook for a minute or two. Add the half & half and stir to combine. I used to whisk this part, but found that by simply stirring it and then bringing it to a slow boil accomplishes the same results of no lumpies. If it takes more than a few minutes to boil or you are simply impatient, turn the heat up to medium high until you see the center start to bubble. Stir in the onions, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and bay leaves and lower the heat to low for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the water has come to a boil in the stock pot, salt it liberally, add the pasta and cook to package directions, strain and set aside if the sauce isn’t ready yet. After about 15 minutes, the sauce should have thickened. Remove the bay leaves and set aside (I’m a dork, I’ll tell you why soon) and add about three-quarters of the cheese, slowly stirring in a circle eight motion into the white sauce. Once completely incorporated, taste and adjust seasonings as needed, add the pasta and stir to combine. Yes, this looks like a lot of sauce, but I guarantee it is the right amount. Transfer to a 2 ½ quart baking dish or, if you’re lazy like me and don’t wish to dirty another dish, simply leave it in the pan. Top with remaining cheese, bread crumbs and take the two bay leaves and artfully arrange them on top. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the bread crumbs have turned a nice golden brown. Allow to rest for five minutes before serving.

Low-fat Version: Replace half & half with skim milk and toss 2 tablespoons cornstarch with the cheese before mixing into the sauce. I don’t know why, but this keeps the cheese from wanting to separate due to the lack of milk-fat in skim milk for the cheese to cling to. Again, an experiment that works. I’m sure you could always stir the cornstarch into the milk too, but I haven’t tried that one yet and now that I’m thinking about it don’t know why I haven’t. Hmmm…


A note on Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese Aged Two Years: If you are unable to locate this particularly delicious (and relatively inexpensive cheese for us here in the Northwest as it is a local variety) that is sad and I mourn for your loss. But, any cheddar will work, so long as it is a sharp cheese. Personally I haven’t found a better cheese for this particular dish, even after trying some imports from Ireland, England and Canada. Alas, I do hold Tillamook Cheese in high regard, so my personal opinion may be slightly askew.

No comments:

Post a Comment