Sunday, January 16, 2011

My First Mug Rugs

Yesterday was our church choir’s After Holiday Party which concluded with a White Elephant gift game. Figuring I’d try something different and quirky, I made Mug Rugs.


It seems that all over the quilting blogosphere Mug Rugs are making a huge splash. For stash loving/hording quilters who hate to throw away their small scraps, this project definitely has its appeal. While I don’t know if I’d ever actually use one myself, I must admit that it was fun to make what is essentially a combination super-miniature quilt and oversized coaster.



So why did I make Mug Rugs when I could’ve been working on other projects during my free day of sewing? Instant gratification. You see, I knew that this project was small enough to pump out one or two rather quickly and I really wanted that feeling of accomplishing something quilt-wise. Hence, a double whammy gift for my sanity and an unsuspecting victim. Okay, so it actually ended up in the hands of someone who said that they were perfect for eating her lunch at her desk without making a mess so they’ll get used.


My only complaint about them is that, well, I’m a bit out of practice on quilting. Okay, so I’m still learning the whole machine quilting thing, but alas, I will eventually learn it. The biggest issue with these small projects is that while a large quilt something like a little fabric pucker is easily hidden within the whole realm of the quilt, whereas in a small project like a Mug Rug it is super obvious. Oh well, it was a White Elephant gift which is a time to get rid of those unwanted items lying around the house. While I cheated by making ours, I still never would’ve used them so I’m glad that someone will… even with their flaws.


Oh, and just so you know, I’m not in the choir, my partner is. Nobody wants my tone deafness and anti-tune-carrying skills in the choir loft. Nobody.

No comments:

Post a Comment