Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sewing on the Mind

With the inevitable move looming in the not so distant future, the idea of packing and moving a bunch of material is not appealing. A plan must be made.

I love fabric. It is apparent that I do in the fact that some of the fabric in my craft room closet I’ve had since I was a kid. I’d use a little for a project and keep the rest for later use, which most of the time never happened. It also wouldn’t be surprising to know that I have the hoarding gene in my blood. Thanks, Mom.

However, I think it is time to finish some projects I’ve started, like the Uninspired Quilt and Fall Quilt, as well as think about what I want to do with all those puppet making materials. Hmmm… perhaps make puppets? I mean, I could make some more of the basic puppets like the pattern I have in my Etsy shop, or I could make theater quality puppets, which, honestly, while they take a lot more planning and work are totally worth the effort in the end result. But the problem with that is then I’d have a puppet to move as well, so if I make another puppet there will need to be a purpose, which means there will need to be a puppet show they would be made for. Alas, none of those in the immediate future.

So I’m thinking it would be time to possibly purge my bins and bags and random fabrics again and see what I should keep and what needs to go away. This means actually taking out the stuff on the bottom of the closet too, not just all the stuff on top. A scary thought considering I haven’t touched those bottom bins in five or six years. A scary thought indeed. I know I somewhat did this last summer when I went through the fabrics in the top portion of the closet and put coordinating prints together into potential future projects, but the bottom bins are another thing all together. That is the stuff I’ve been carrying with me for years. I don’t even remember what is in some of them, and quite honestly one is probably filled with nothing but beads for necklaces and such which I haven’t used in fifteen years.

With so many raw materials, perhaps I need to start sewing and stop thinking about sewing. Wait a minute. Take out the perhaps. I need to start sewing. If for nothing else, just to get some of the unused fabric into something that someone can use. And since our church is having an auction this Spring to raise additional funds for the skylight and cathedral glass we just had fixed this past Fall, I can donate some of the quilts I make to be auctioned off. Perhaps the Uninspired Quilt will find a home after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment