Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baby Shower Gifts

Yesterday was my sister and her husband’s baby shower for their first child. It was a blast.


Okay, so as far as baby showers go, small spaces crammed with so many people it would make a fire marshal cringe would normally be a bad thing, but mommy-to-be said it was perfect because it forced people to actually mingle. I have to admit I was a little worried but it turned out fine. They loved the cake and I patiently waited for them to open presents because, let’s be honest, baby showers really are mostly about the gifts.

I didn’t even know if my sister would remember the books I’d made when I was in high school, but when she opened up the package and suddenly started going on about how I used to read them to her and our other sister (who was hosting the shower) it made me glad I had decided to get a couple of those books printed to give to family and friends. One of the books I had actually dedicated to her and she even remembered I had made it originally as a birthday present one year. Needless to say she was excited to be able to read those books to her own kids.


Then she opened the diaper bag, from which my arm is still sore and bruised, and loved the fact it was made in the nursery colors of black, cream and pink. It immediately got passed around for everyone to look at and inspect. Thank God for the Moda Bake Shop, and thank you so much Bradie Sparrow (quiltcetera.com) for the pattern for this bag. It really is super cute and was super fun to make… except for those damned handles.


Finally it was time to open the baby blanket. I always package my baby blankets with the back embroidery facing because it has the baby’s name. Once opened and unfolded everyone oohed and awed over it before I told her she was holding it upside down. After it was righted, it also was passed around. And thankfully she liked the little bit of orange I added to it.




I have to say I wondered if all my efforts were worth it, but seeing the look on their faces totally made it so. Yes, it was a lot of hard work, but I also had fun in the process. And knowing that the gifts would be appreciated is nice too.

No comments:

Post a Comment